How many of us think about the quality of the air we breathe? Obviously, it is something that we often ignore in our daily life. Most of the homeowners even don’t have an idea about duct cleaning. We can live a safe and healthy life if we do care for our surroundings along with ourselves.
It is quite easy to see dirt on any open or exposed surface but what do you think about areas like air ducts? How much dirt and dust can be built over a period of time? According to Environmental Protection Agency, indoor air quality relates to the health and comfort of the building occupants.
Signs When Air Ducts Need to be Clean
- Unpleasant smell
- Clogged air ducts with dust
- Presence of mold and mildew
- Bad airflow in the house
- Rodents and insects in ducts
Short Term Effects
- Irritations of eyes
- Fatigue or dizziness
- Asthma problem
Long Term Effects
- Respiratory diseases
- Heart diseases
Cleaning Time: 1-hour Skills: Beginner
How to Clean Air Ducts Yourself (DIY)
Things Required in Cleaning Air Ducts
- Screwdriver: This tool is used to start the cleaning process. By using this open the vent registrar which is the first task.
- Gloves: To protect your skin exposing to dirt and dust.
- Air duct cleaning brush: You can use a brush to loosen the dirt inside the duct. It may be any dryer lint brush or dusting brush
- Vacuum: An accessory tool to complete the duct cleaning task. Make sure the cleaner has a long hose to reach the duct area.
- Paper towels/Cleaning cloth: This method is used to wipe out all the unnecessary dust.
- Furnace filter: The furnace filter has a large impact on the performance of (HVAC )
Step by Step Residential Duct Cleaning Procedure
- Cover working area: The first and foremost task is to cover the working area to save the surroundings from extracted suit and dirt.
- Removing the vent registrar: Unscrew the duct covers and put the air grill plates aside. Now simply wash them and let them dry.
- Tuned on the fan: Don’t forget to turn on the thermostat to the “fan” position. It will help you to move the loose dirt while removing dirt.
- Clean supply registers: Now sweeping out the dirt from supply registrars. Using a vacuum you can easily extract the dust.
- Apply contact cleaning method: In this method, you send the rotating brush down to the vent system to brush away all the dirt and debris. Or use the vacuum to attach the brush and nozzle attachment with a vacuum hose to pull maximum dirt.
- Turn off the fan: Once you finished shut down the fan to restrict dust to move around the whole space.
- Clean the air duct blower: The next and most important step is to clean the air duct blower. You can use the vacuum to clean the dust and then wipe it up with a cloth.
- Changing air filter: After cleaning dust from the ducts, the next is to replace the air filter with the old one to get the complete benefits. It’s fruitful to change the furnace filters at least once a month.
DIY Air Duct Give Desired Results?
It is only helpful in saving money when you have all the required equipment for the cleaning process.
But risks are always there in DIY. If you are not confident enough to do such a technical job, then you may call the professionals. Lack of knowledge or improper cleaning technique, you might damage any part of the system, which will cost you more than adopting the proper way.
Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning
- Purifies and improves indoor air quality
- Healthy and lively environment
- Get rid of bad odor in the house
- Reduce allergens and skin problems
- Prevents and controls the birth of mold and mildew
How to Stop Dirt and Dust from Entering the HVAC System
- Always use a good air filter suggested by the manufacturer.
- Replace filters periodically. If they are blocked, immediately change them.
- At the time of maintenance or cleaning the HVAC system, make sure to clean drain pans and cooling coils as well.
- Regularly use vacuum cleaners in your home. It reduces the dust level.
- If your HVAC system contains an in-duct humidification option, make sure to operate it and also regularly maintain it by experts. If there is no such option available, you can also use a separate humidifier in a room
- To avoid condensation in the system, make sure ducts are correctly sealed and insulated.
Is Duct Cleaning a Waste of Money?
This job will take your time and effort but saves your money. Moreover, well-maintained and cleaned air ducts ultimately enhance the cooling and heating system.
Along with maintenance, it is recommended to clean such areas regularly once a year or at least after every two years. However, air duct cleaning may cost you expensive, if it is done by professionals or experts.